Frequently Asked Questions About the Best Website Design and Marketing for Attorneys, Doctors, and Other Professionals
Below are some questions many clients have when they first contact Foster Web Marketing about the online marketing world.
The questions below may address many initial concerns you may have. If you don't find your answers here, you should contact us for answers to any questions specific to your firm.
- Page 23
How can I make producing professional online lawyer videos worth my time?
You’ve probably heard that web video is the wave of the future in attorney search engine marketing. But is it really worth putting the time and money into hiring web video professionals when you have a webcam at home? The answer is that amateurish videos probably won’t help your law firm much, and making web video worth your time is really all about taking the time to do it correctly.
Here are some of the best ways to make web video worth the time and money you put into it:
- Think about your audience. Think about what your clients ask you most frequently or what you wish potential clients knew before coming in to see you, then work those concerns into an idea for a video.
- Film content that is clear and compelling. You want to keep your videos short and on-topic. Avoid rambling, long-winded tangents, and confusing “legalese.”
- Promote your video the right way. Work your video into your social networking, your existing attorney website, and your law firm blog. Provide a quick video alongside a longer article on important or frequent concerns. The possibilities are endless!
- Make sure your video looks polished and professional. It’s true: video production matters. Most viewers will move on rather than try to sit out a grainy webcam video or bad audio.
If you’d like to learn more about creating compelling online lawyer videos, or if you’re disappointed with the performance of your current attorney web videos, please request your completely FREE copy of our informative book, How to Get Found by the World’s Most Aggressive Internet Users and Never Miss Another Lead. And, of course, you can always reach a member of our web video team at 888-886-0939 or by filling out our easy online contact form today.
What are the disadvantages of only having a regular attorney website?
If you have a smartphone and have surfed the Web from your phone before, you probably know why it is important to have an attorney mobile website. However, if you aren’t familiar with mobile websites – or simply haven’t noticed a difference – it is important to understand the disadvantages of ignoring the mobile revolution.
Not having a mobile website means that your mobile visitors will:
- Deal with slow loading times. It only takes a few seconds of slow loading to discourage web surfers and cause them to navigate away from the page. Regular websites take much longer to load on phones than mobile websites.
- Deal with lots of scrolling and resizing. A regular website will require both vertical and horizontal scrolling – and possible resizing so that they can read the small fonts. Most will soon become too frustrated to continue.
- Leave to visit a competitor’s website. When a mobile device user is looking for a local lawyer on their smartphone, they will likely skip attorneys with traditional websites and find an attorney with a mobile website. If that’s not you, you will lose their business.
If you haven’t already, try viewing your lawyer website on a cell phone. How is the user experience? If you want to make it better, call our mobile website design team today at 888.886.0939.
I really want my new attorney website to look great. What should I be thinking about?
Choosing to build a new website is exciting. Although it’s not the only consideration, a lot of the fun in attorney website design is figuring out how your website will look when it is finished and live. No one wants to see an ugly website! You want a great-looking site that will invite your web visitors to come on in and take a look around. How can you build a website that’s easy on the eyes?
Here are a couple of things you should be thinking about:
- Layout. The layout of your website dictates how all the elements—text, graphics, buttons, etc.—fit together on your page. Small changes in the layout can make a big difference in how your website looks and performs. Think about what your web visitors will be looking for, and make sure those are the elements that stand out and are quickly accessible. Consider incorporating menus that are easy to read and navigate, and keep in mind that leaving a little white space makes it all seem a little more professional.
- Color. Color is more important than you might think. You need to use web-safe colors that will be consistent for your users, and you want to use color to set the tone of your attorney website. Think about relaxing blues or aggressive reds, but don’t go overboard. Choose colors that won’t clash or end up giving your web visitors a headache.
If you need help with attorney web design that will wow your web visitors, speak with the law firm website design experts at Foster Web Marketing today. Just give us a call at 888-886-0939, or fill out the quick online contact form available on this page.
My attorney website isn’t perfect, but does it really matter as long as I have a site out there?
This is a question our online attorney marketing team hears a lot. Many people believe that any website will do: toss up a slapdash attorney website, and call it good. The truth is, it would be better to have no website at all. In fact, crummy attorney website design can actually hurt your marketing efforts and send potential clients to your competitors’ sites.
Here are a few of the website mistakes that can send potential clients packing:
- Ugly or unprofessional. Let’s face it – if your site looks cheesy, crowded, unreadable, or the colors clash, then your potential clients are going to move on to a site that looks more professional and accessible.
- Slow to load. Web users aren’t really known for their patience, and they’re not going to wait for a site that is bogged down with graphics and widgets or takes more than a few seconds to load.
- Lacking worthwhile content. Ultimately, people search the Web because they have questions and are looking for answers. Even if your lawyer website looks great, no one will stick around if you don’t have anything to offer.
If you are unhappy with your current website, or if you are ready to build a website from scratch, speak with the experts at Foster Web Marketing today. You can reach us at 888-886-0939 today to get started.
We also recommend you take a look at our powerful guide, The Five Biggest Mistakes 99% of Lawyers Make with Their Websites, which you can receive for FREE just by giving us a call or filling out our quick online contact form.
How can I make my attorney website content stand out in comparison to my competitors?
When you look at your competitor websites, you might notice that many offer their visitors the same tired information, the same free consultation, and the same pitch. To stand out in the crowd, it’s important to offer unique content. But how can you accomplish that?
- Use your own voice. Nothing makes you stand out more than being yourself. Many legal articles are overly technical and don’t have a human element. You can stand out simply by producing articles that sound like you – a caring, educated attorney.
- Diversify. Don’t just write straight-up legal information articles. Provide your audience with videos, lists, FAQs, blog posts, and news items. The more types of articles you have, the more likely it is that a visitor will find what they need.
- Think outside the box. What information can you give your readers that other law firms don’t offer? What about a sample timeline for a general or common case? Or a first-person story of a client’s experience?
At Foster Web Marketing, we can make sure that your lawyer website has high-quality, unique content that your visitors are looking for. We can help you write it, or help you learn the keys to successful content writing for attorneys. Call today to find out more.
How can I figure out what kind of content my attorney web visitors want to read?
One of the keys to producing great attorney website content is knowing exactly what those who looking for a lawyer like you want to read. But how can you possibly figure that out? Here are three ideas:
- Think about what questions they have when they walk in your door. When people search for information on the internet, they are always trying to answer a question. If you can predict what questions they are asking, you can predict what content they are looking for.
- Have them fill out a survey at your office. Once a person has signed on as your client, ask them a few questions about why they chose you and what they needed most when they were looking for an attorney.
- Look at Google Analytics. Google Analytics will show you exactly what keywords people typed into the search engine to find your page. These keywords will often let you know what content people are looking for most.
There’s also a fourth way to find out what kind of content writing for attorneys you should post on your lawyer website – work with Foster Web Marketing to get regular ideas and guidance. Call us today for more information.
I’m not really sure about the difference between “white hat” link building and “black hat” link building. Aren’t they both just about getting more links for my attorney website?
While both “white hat” link building techniques and “black hat” link building techniques are, when it comes right down to it, about getting more links for your attorney website, there is a really distinct difference. That difference has to do with the quality of the links you are getting.
“Black Hat” Link Building
If you are trying to trick Google into believing your attorney website is popular with paid links and spam, then you are probably engaging in “black hat” practices. This might include submitting your website to a link farm, spamming other blogs with links to your site, or submitting spammy content to low-quality directories.
“White Hat” Link Building
On the other hand, if you naturally are creating links and reaching out to your readers, then you are probably engaging in “white hat” practices. The idea is to focus on creating content people want to read and share, creating relationships with sites that are relevant to yours, and targeting the types of audiences who can benefit from the content you offer.
If you need help with link building for lawyers or just want to step up your SEO game, speak with the online attorney marketing professionals at Foster Web Marketing. Just give us a call today, or fill out the quick online contact form on this page for more information. Don’t forget to request a complimentary copy of our helpful book, The 5 Biggest Mistakes 99% of Lawyers Make with Their Websites.
Why is offering an attorney ebook an effective call to action?
You may have noticed that almost all attorney websites offer a free consultation as their call to action. However, only having one call to action – and having the same call to action as everyone else – isn’t as effective as multiple calls to action and multiple offers.
Offering a free legal guide or ebook as one of your calls to action is an excellent choice for a number of reasons. First, an ebook offer allows you to collect information from your website visitors when they fill out a request form. Secondly, an ebook is an effective way to show your visitors that you are an authority on the legal issue they need help with. Thirdly, an ebook is a more unique way of reaching your website visitors than a passive offer of a complimentary consultation.
Ebooks also help educate the reader – they ensure that when your potential client calls, they have already learned something about their claim or case. This can help save everyone time and ultimately make your job easier.
Would you like to offer a free legal guide or ebook on your attorney website, or would you just like to learn more about book writing for lawyers? Our marketing and writing team at Foster Web Marketing can help you brainstorm ideas, make your project a reality, and get you the new clients you are looking for. Call today to schedule an appointment or (of course!) check out our selection of free ebooks on online attorney marketing.
I don’t have many followers on Twitter, and I feel like I’m wasting my time using it to promote my law firm. What am I missing?
Using social media for attorneys and law firms can be a little tricky. While you do want to use these platforms to promote your law firm and bring in potential clients, you can’t approach social media marketing the same way you might approach more traditional marketing tactics. Social media is all about creating relationships and engaging with people. If you don’t feel like you’re getting the most out of Twitter, ask yourself these questions:
- How often do I Tweet? To keep people interested, you have to Tweet often. If you’re Tweeting less than once a day, then you probably aren’t getting much out of Twitter.
- How long have I been using Twitter? It takes some time to build a following, even if you do everything right. If you’ve just started using Twitter, keep up the good work and be patient.
- Do I constantly Tweet the same thing? Unfortunately, a lot of people use Twitter to send out spam. If you constantly send out the same Tweet, most people will assume you’re just spamming and will ignore you.
- Are all my Tweets just promoting my law firm? Social media platforms are made for people to reach out and share information. If you always Tweet about your law firm, try mixing it up a little with helpful information, links to interesting articles, or something fun.
Social media marketing can be powerful, but it can also be confusing and time consuming. If you need a hand with using Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, and other social media sites more effectively, get in touch with our online attorney marketing experts at 888-886-0939 today.
Search Our Site
Get Help Now
Complimentary Site Analysis
Get your 8 page report that spells out exactly what is working, what is wrong, and, more importantly, what needs to be done to fix it.
Want To Learn More?
Request a Free Book, Watch a Webinar, Read Our Blog, or Listen to a Podcast
Are you struggling to market your business online? Do you need some help refining your marketing to get you the rankings, clients and revenue you need to be successful?
Take a step toward your goals with Foster Web Marketing's FREE marketing resources. Our books are based on real-world experiences and they will teach you techniques that have proven to work when executed correctly.