Frequently Asked Questions About the Best Website Design and Marketing for Attorneys, Doctors, and Other Professionals
Below are some questions many clients have when they first contact Foster Web Marketing about the online marketing world.
The questions below may address many initial concerns you may have. If you don't find your answers here, you should contact us for answers to any questions specific to your firm.
- Page 23
What is link building?
When search engines like Google attempt to find the best content and most helpful pages for their customers, they often take into account how many and what kinds of other websites have linked to each page they evaluate. They believe that, if a page is linked too often and by quality websites, then it will likely be a helpful and relevant page for those searching the Web.
Because search engines use inbound links (links from other websites that point to your website) as a big factor when it comes to PageRank, an important factor of search engine optimization (SEO) is building great, quality links to your website. In addition, having popular, high-quality inbound links will often increase your website traffic and improve your reach and authority.
By investing time and resources into link building, you can improve your web presence, improve your search engine rank, establish helpful partnerships and relationships with other websites, and increase the overall traffic to your website.
Are you ready to start building links to your attorney website – both organically and through partnerships? Foster Web Marketing can get you started and teach you what you need to know. Call us today at 888.886.0939 to talk to one of the members of our lawyer marketing team.
You guys keep talking about “white hat” SEO and why it’s important, but I’ve seen my competitors outrank me on Google using what you call “black hat” techniques. What’s The Point of “White Hat” SEO if These Other Sites Can Outrank Me?
Sites that use link farms, keyword stuffing, hidden text, and other techniques designed to outsmart Google’s algorithm may benefit from a traffic spike in the short term, but they only stand to lose users in the long term. Google is constantly updating its algorithm to weed out the sites which use these unsavory tactics, and it’s a pretty good bet that those sites will—sooner or later—face penalties.
Google Search has a single goal in mind, and that goal is connecting users to the best match for their search queries. If you’ve cheated your way to the top, then your potential clients won’t find what they need—and Google will notice. Is a spike in traffic now really worth losing those contacts and your page ranking later? Probably not.
When it comes to “white hat” SEO, what we’re really talking about is helping you create and optimize a website that informs, answers questions, provides great content, and engages users—so that your page rises to the top because it really deserves to be there. “Black hat” SEO always will be about cheap tricks, trying to find a way around Google’s efforts to penalize you, and leaving users disappointed.
Don’t Disappoint Your Potential Clients
“White hat” search engine optimization may seem complicated, but in the hands of a professional it’s almost like magic. Let us handle your online attorney marketing and do the hard work while you focus on what you do best: practicing law and building relationships with your clients. Speak with a member of our expert attorney search engine optimization team today at 888-886-0939, or fill out our online contact form for more information.
To learn more about marketing on the Web and making the most of what’s out there, take a look at our must-read book, The 5 Biggest Mistakes 99% of Lawyers Make with Their Websites, and take your law firm marketing to the next level!
How can I help potential clients find my online lawyer videos?
It’s no use making compelling online lawyer videos if nobody is going to watch them! Promoting your web video is just as important as creating it. If you want to reach out to potential clients with your attorney web video, pay attention to the following elements:
- Content. Content is always king. Make sure you use your web videos to answer frequent questions, clarify important issues, or communicate vital information. This will help keep your viewers engaged, and it carries the added bonus of helping you build a sense of trust with your potential clients.
- Title. Pay attention to the title of your video. Is it catchy? Does it explain what the video is about?
- Description. Your video’s description should explain more about what the viewer should expect to learn from the video and include keywords that help the search engines (and your potential clients) find you.
- Promotion. Once you’ve filmed your attorney videos, put them out there for your potential clients to see. Share videos on Facebook, add them to your blog, and use them on your law firm’s website.
For more information about tagging and promoting your online videos, see our FREE book, How to Get Found by the World’s Most Aggressive Internet Users and Never Miss Another Lead.
If you need help creating excellent attorney videos and making sure they are found by potential clients, speak with the online attorney marketing experts with Foster Web Marketing. Just give us a call today at 888-886-0939, or simply fill out the online contact form on this page!
Okay, I set up a Twitter account for my law firm. What should I Tweet about?
Many attorneys know that having a Twitter account can help get new clients and great local exposure. But many don’t really know what they should Tweet to keep their audience interested and engaged. Here are a few ideas:
- Link to your newest blog post, article, or case results. One of the best uses of Twitter is to get your social media audience to visit your website.
- Report on local news related to your practice. Twitter is often used for local news, and users love to get updates on stories that affect them.
- Share a personal update or picture. While your Twitter feed shouldn’t be all about you, social media is a great way to humanize your practice. Post an inspirational quote from a book you are reading or a picture of a trip to the beach you took with your family.
- Re-Tweet important Tweets from the legal world. Twitter is about connecting with others and sharing important information. Be sure to follow the important legal feeds, and pass on any pertinent breaking news.
Do you need help improving your online attorney marketing strategy or breaking into marketing through social media? The team at Foster Web Marketing can help. Call us today at 888.886.0939 to get started.
How can I make producing professional online lawyer videos worth my time?
You’ve probably heard that web video is the wave of the future in attorney search engine marketing. But is it really worth putting the time and money into hiring web video professionals when you have a webcam at home? The answer is that amateurish videos probably won’t help your law firm much, and making web video worth your time is really all about taking the time to do it correctly.
Here are some of the best ways to make web video worth the time and money you put into it:
- Think about your audience. Think about what your clients ask you most frequently or what you wish potential clients knew before coming in to see you, then work those concerns into an idea for a video.
- Film content that is clear and compelling. You want to keep your videos short and on-topic. Avoid rambling, long-winded tangents, and confusing “legalese.”
- Promote your video the right way. Work your video into your social networking, your existing attorney website, and your law firm blog. Provide a quick video alongside a longer article on important or frequent concerns. The possibilities are endless!
- Make sure your video looks polished and professional. It’s true: video production matters. Most viewers will move on rather than try to sit out a grainy webcam video or bad audio.
If you’d like to learn more about creating compelling online lawyer videos, or if you’re disappointed with the performance of your current attorney web videos, please request your completely FREE copy of our informative book, How to Get Found by the World’s Most Aggressive Internet Users and Never Miss Another Lead. And, of course, you can always reach a member of our web video team at 888-886-0939 or by filling out our easy online contact form today.
What are the disadvantages of only having a regular attorney website?
If you have a smartphone and have surfed the Web from your phone before, you probably know why it is important to have an attorney mobile website. However, if you aren’t familiar with mobile websites – or simply haven’t noticed a difference – it is important to understand the disadvantages of ignoring the mobile revolution.
Not having a mobile website means that your mobile visitors will:
- Deal with slow loading times. It only takes a few seconds of slow loading to discourage web surfers and cause them to navigate away from the page. Regular websites take much longer to load on phones than mobile websites.
- Deal with lots of scrolling and resizing. A regular website will require both vertical and horizontal scrolling – and possible resizing so that they can read the small fonts. Most will soon become too frustrated to continue.
- Leave to visit a competitor’s website. When a mobile device user is looking for a local lawyer on their smartphone, they will likely skip attorneys with traditional websites and find an attorney with a mobile website. If that’s not you, you will lose their business.
If you haven’t already, try viewing your lawyer website on a cell phone. How is the user experience? If you want to make it better, call our mobile website design team today at 888.886.0939.
I really want my new attorney website to look great. What should I be thinking about?
Choosing to build a new website is exciting. Although it’s not the only consideration, a lot of the fun in attorney website design is figuring out how your website will look when it is finished and live. No one wants to see an ugly website! You want a great-looking site that will invite your web visitors to come on in and take a look around. How can you build a website that’s easy on the eyes?
Here are a couple of things you should be thinking about:
- Layout. The layout of your website dictates how all the elements—text, graphics, buttons, etc.—fit together on your page. Small changes in the layout can make a big difference in how your website looks and performs. Think about what your web visitors will be looking for, and make sure those are the elements that stand out and are quickly accessible. Consider incorporating menus that are easy to read and navigate, and keep in mind that leaving a little white space makes it all seem a little more professional.
- Color. Color is more important than you might think. You need to use web-safe colors that will be consistent for your users, and you want to use color to set the tone of your attorney website. Think about relaxing blues or aggressive reds, but don’t go overboard. Choose colors that won’t clash or end up giving your web visitors a headache.
If you need help with attorney web design that will wow your web visitors, speak with the law firm website design experts at Foster Web Marketing today. Just give us a call at 888-886-0939, or fill out the quick online contact form available on this page.
My attorney website isn’t perfect, but does it really matter as long as I have a site out there?
This is a question our online attorney marketing team hears a lot. Many people believe that any website will do: toss up a slapdash attorney website, and call it good. The truth is, it would be better to have no website at all. In fact, crummy attorney website design can actually hurt your marketing efforts and send potential clients to your competitors’ sites.
Here are a few of the website mistakes that can send potential clients packing:
- Ugly or unprofessional. Let’s face it – if your site looks cheesy, crowded, unreadable, or the colors clash, then your potential clients are going to move on to a site that looks more professional and accessible.
- Slow to load. Web users aren’t really known for their patience, and they’re not going to wait for a site that is bogged down with graphics and widgets or takes more than a few seconds to load.
- Lacking worthwhile content. Ultimately, people search the Web because they have questions and are looking for answers. Even if your lawyer website looks great, no one will stick around if you don’t have anything to offer.
If you are unhappy with your current website, or if you are ready to build a website from scratch, speak with the experts at Foster Web Marketing today. You can reach us at 888-886-0939 today to get started.
We also recommend you take a look at our powerful guide, The Five Biggest Mistakes 99% of Lawyers Make with Their Websites, which you can receive for FREE just by giving us a call or filling out our quick online contact form.
How can I make my attorney website content stand out in comparison to my competitors?
When you look at your competitor websites, you might notice that many offer their visitors the same tired information, the same free consultation, and the same pitch. To stand out in the crowd, it’s important to offer unique content. But how can you accomplish that?
- Use your own voice. Nothing makes you stand out more than being yourself. Many legal articles are overly technical and don’t have a human element. You can stand out simply by producing articles that sound like you – a caring, educated attorney.
- Diversify. Don’t just write straight-up legal information articles. Provide your audience with videos, lists, FAQs, blog posts, and news items. The more types of articles you have, the more likely it is that a visitor will find what they need.
- Think outside the box. What information can you give your readers that other law firms don’t offer? What about a sample timeline for a general or common case? Or a first-person story of a client’s experience?
At Foster Web Marketing, we can make sure that your lawyer website has high-quality, unique content that your visitors are looking for. We can help you write it, or help you learn the keys to successful content writing for attorneys. Call today to find out more.
Search Our Site
Get Help Now
Complimentary Site Analysis
Get your 8 page report that spells out exactly what is working, what is wrong, and, more importantly, what needs to be done to fix it.
Want To Learn More?
Request a Free Book, Watch a Webinar, Read Our Blog, or Listen to a Podcast
Are you struggling to market your business online? Do you need some help refining your marketing to get you the rankings, clients and revenue you need to be successful?
Take a step toward your goals with Foster Web Marketing's FREE marketing resources. Our books are based on real-world experiences and they will teach you techniques that have proven to work when executed correctly.