October was an especially thrilling month for Foster Web Marketing. I mean, what says Halloween better than a Hummingbird dressed like a pirate, wearing tiny socks and doing the two step?
Here we break down four of our coolest, spookiest events of October.
- When Hummingbirds Attack – This month Google's oh-so-spooky Hummingbird rammed its lance-like nose into the web. While some websites were impaled by this major Google update, those with well-written, compelling content and ethical SEO practices didn't feel the sting.
- Socktober Madness – For the FWM team, October means one thing: the annual Socktober battle. Each October, the development team and video team engage in a contest to see who has the best socks. This year things got pretty heated—socks are pretty sweaty after all—and while no winner has been declared, team development looked to be in the lead, but was quickly caught by team video’s Socktober overview video post.
While the contest was fun, FWM is always looking for ways to give back to the community. For Socktober, writer Sara Lubkin found a DC area charity, Miriam's Kitchen in DC, which gladly accepts sock donations. Even if you aren't in the DC area, the non-profit has an Amazon wish list that includes packs of socks. The socks will be given out to homeless men and are especially needed as winter approaches. Kudos to Sara for finding such a worthy, sock-centric charity!
- A Pirate Take Over – We are talking real pirates, not your kid wearing an eye patch. This month the movie Captain Phillips opened and when it did, our longtime client, Brian Beckcom of VB Attorneys, found himself in the middle of a media storm. With our help, Brain made the most of the breaking news, highlighting his role in representing nine of the crewmembers from the Maersk Alabama—the ship that was hijacked by pirates in 2009 and is the subject of the movie—in their suit against the shipping company. Brian was interviewed on Good Morning America, CNN and ABC and was featured in dozens of major print articles; his site traffic spiked at over 1,200 hits in a single day! FWM has been working with Brian on making the most of his media blitz, and as a result, the firm landed a big Greyhound bus accident case. Congratulations to Brian and Vuk on a very successful October!
- Nashville Top Practices Marketing Summit – In early October Tom Foster, Chad Foster, and Danielle Ruderman traveled to Nashville, TN for the annual Top Practices Podiatry Marketing Summit. Tom and Danielle shared the stage, delivering two presentations, “Dominating Your Local Market...by Avoiding These Big Mistakes” and “Jedi Marketing Session: Let's Talk Data!” They also served as panelists for Rem Jackson’s Internet Marketing Q&A Session. The summit was a great success, and Chad Foster has been busy signing up new clients and performing SEO audits for podiatrists!
- Foster Web Marketing helps lawyers earn CLE credit – On October 30, Tom Foster and Danielle Ruderman joined Mischelle Davis, the Director of Client Relations & Operations from Davis Law Firm; and Dave M. Frees III, a partner at Unruh, Turner, Burke and Frees on a webinar for the American Bar Association Continuing Legal Education (CLE) Credit Course. The team presented a course entitled, “Protect Your Practice Website: Is Your Firm at Risk After Google’s Penguin 2.0 Algorithm Change?” This CLE course can be purchased on the ABA website.
Stay tuned for next month's happenings. We will reveal our newest attorney and doctor marketing service, but be forewarned—it just may knock your socks off.