For example, let's say that you want to upload your contacts stored in Yahoo mail to Twitter:
- Log in to your Twitter account and click the “who to follow” tab at the top.
- Next, click on “find friends” and you'll see a list of services from which Twitter allows you to import contacts. Currently, Twitter allows: Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail, AOL, and LinkedIn.
- For this example, click on Yahoo, and it will take you to a page for you to log in to Yahoo.
- Once you log in to Yahoo, a new window should pop up asking you to agree to authorize access to Yahoo contacts.
- Clicking “agree” will start the process of uploading your Yahoo contacts to Twitter.
- Going back to Twitter, you should now see a list of contacts which were imported from Yahoo. It will also let you know if they are on Twitter and offer an option to send invitations to those who aren't.
- Now you're all set with Twitter!
You can basically follow the instructions above to upload contacts from other email clients you may be using. If you have a lot of contacts, it may be a good idea to edit them before you upload them to your social media account, as it can be overwhelming if you're dealing with hundreds of contacts. Facebook and LinkedIn work in a similar fashion to Twitter, so go to your account settings and look for a function to import your contacts – they may also be referred to as “friends” instead.
Be sure to order a copy of our newest book, Secrets of Social Media for Attorneys Revealed: Mission 101!