What’s the Difference Between DSS and WordPress?
DSS is FWM’s robust suite of marketing automation software, combining content management, SEO, customer relationship management (CRM), mobile platforms, video, social media, and more. You don’t have to go searching for the perfect plug-in or template because what you need is already vetted, tested, and built right in.
Your site and service are custom-tailored to your needs and wishes, and our team of in-house SEO and web marketing experts are on hand to show you how to stay a step ahead of your competitors. If you want to do it yourself, it’s easy. If you want us to do it for you, no problem. If you want all the bells and whistles, they’re in there. If you want to start small, you can do it with room to grow.
With WordPress, you get a website and a basic content management system. With DSS, you get all that and all the following:
- Cutting-edge CRM and automated email sequences
- Top-to-bottom optimization for modern search engines, including constant development and fresh updates as technology shifts
- Easy integration with popular third-party software used by law firms and medical practices
- Lead tracking, lead tagging, and sophisticated reporting that keeps potential clients from getting lost in the shuffle
- Full-time dedicated IT and client support team—when you call, you talk to a person that probably already knows your name
- Lightning-fast response to customization and feature requests
- Innovative security and privacy, including a dedication to maintaining HIPAA compliance in an evolving digital landscape
- Cohesive, intuitive user experience that lets you make on-the-fly changes without a call to customer support
- Developed specifically for the marketing needs of attorneys and physicians, as opposed to trying to be everything to everyone
- Costs are clear, with a lot less “nickel and diming” through premium plugins and services
- Less “bloat” from over-generalized options and third-party development, meaning more reliability and consistency in practice
- No plugin conflicts—all DSS modules are compatible throughout our system
- Easy transfer of existing sites, making it less likely that you’ll need to rebuild from complete scratch
- Constant optimization for page speed and other Google Core Web Vitals that influence your search engine rankings
- Experienced web marketing services team available to support the ongoing development, maintenance, and tweaking of your digital strategy
We're always enhancing, updating, and upgrading DSS to be the best—and only—content management system and customer relationship management software you need. Is it as popular as WordPress? No. Is it a customized and cohesive package that gives you a lot more bang for your buck? Absolutely.
Does Google Favor WordPress?
You might be saying, "I heard Google favors WordPress!" Is that true?
Nope! Google's Search Advocate, John Mu, quashed this rumor in November 2021:
"CMS's for the web all make HTML pages in one form or another. There's nothing inherently making one generator better for SEO than any other. Google Search doesn't know/track if a page comes from WordPress, FrontPage, or an artisan code-foundry."
That’s right. Google does not inherently favor WordPress. Google does not pay attention to what platform a site is built on. The strength of your SEO has much more to do with who is handling it and how they optimize your website and content, not so much what platform they use to do it.
Ultimately, Google rewards sites that are ethically optimized, relevant to searchers, responsive to mobile devices, and quick to load. There is no plug-in combination in WordPress can match the site-specific optimization we perform on our V5 sites built in DSS, and using WordPress won’t give you any extra “juice” in the rankings.
Heck, if it did, we’d be using it ourselves!
If That’s the Case, Why Is WordPress So Trendy Right Now?
Influencers and brand personalities dominate the current digital landscape. And most of them know WordPress really, really well because that’s where they started out before they had the cashflow to pay for a better fit or a more traditional package. It’s familiar. It’s been around for a while. And, over time, it’s become more viable for businesses. So, why not try to play on some fears to get more clicks and subscribes? It only takes one person putting out a misleading statement or outright myth to get 20 more people repeating it—even if there’s zero evidence that it’s the truth!
It is absolutely true that WordPress has been around much longer than other open-source CMS platforms, and it has absolutely gained a lot of market share as a result. It may very well be the best open-source platform out there right now. It definitely deserves accolades where accolades are due.
But that doesn’t mean that it is the best platform for you or your needs as a business. And I think that’s where so much of this discussion ends up losing track of what’s actually important in the first place: YOUR SUCCESS.
So much of the benefit of WordPress is in what it can do for plucky, DIY influencers that can’t afford more traditional websites or have the time to tinker with an open-source solution and all the plugins that go with it. Once you get to the point that you’re paying someone else to pay for premium upgrades and manage everything for you, the benefits of using it to promote your business shrink tremendously.
So, you have to be able to see past the hype and think straight about what’s actually best for you.
What’s the Bottom Line?
Your website is single-handedly the most important marketing tool you have, and DSS offers the power needed to make your business stand out above the rest. WordPress is—at its core—just a content management system; DSS includes features that are available in WordPress only as expensive add-on tools that may or may not work together.
So, it’s a long story with a lot of rabbit holes, but I hope that you got some answers and some clarity. If you’d like to see the difference for yourself, we’d be happy to give you a demonstration of DSS and discuss everything in more detail.