Everyone wants their online content to get a million views or otherwise “go viral,” but that is something far easier said than done.
The absolute truth is that you can’t force your content to “go viral,” and neither can we. We can help you create unique content. We can help you position it for the best visibility. In the end, though, truly “viral” success is up to the whims and trends of the internet, and we all know how unpredictable that can be.
Even if your content does blow up online, it doesn’t always mean that it’s for the right reasons or in front of the right people—and you definitely don’t want to go viral for the wrong reasons.
The question becomes, then, how do you even attempt to “go viral” in front of the right people with the right message?
As it turns out, you don’t necessarily have to be the Texas Law Hawk to get widespread attention online. However, you do need to start with unique content that truly interests and engages the people you want to reach—and it really has to be exceptional.
Start With a Story That Demands Attention
If you want your content to be seen and shared, you have to create stand-out content that people want to see and share. There is absolutely no way around it.
Luckily, you don’t have to be psychic to know what will attract attention. We already know that some of the most viewed and shared stories online are:
- Stories that touch the heart. One of the most-shared stories after Hurricane Harvey was the story of four bakers who, when trapped at work by flood waters, kept baking pan dulce for flood victims. The lesson is that people like stories about people, and they like stories about people who overcome in difficult circumstances. This is a place where the stories of your cases and clients can truly shine. When you tell real stories, and give enough detail to draw people in, you create incredible content that people can empathize with and relate to their own lives. Find out how to use storytelling techniques to write case results that resonate.
- Messages of affirmation and understanding. A heartfelt message “to every exhausted mom out there” was shared more than a million times on Facebook and other social media sites in 2017. It just goes to show that you can’t go wrong by delivering a message that really lands with the people you want to help the most. Understanding your perfect client and really speaking to that narrow audience helps you create content that makes a real connection. What can you write that will make your perfect clients say, “this person really gets it?”
- Practical advice and digestible information. Some of the hottest content online is just practical information presented in an attractive, easy-to-understand way. Infographics, how-to videos, and other simple explanations of complicated topics can spread quickly online because people learn something new and want to pass that knowledge along to their friends and family.”
- “Insider” information and “secrets” of an industry. Similarly, people love when they can uncover a truth or get a better picture of what goes on “behind the scenes.” Attorneys, especially, have a lot to offer their readers in this arena. Think about what your average client doesn’t know about the insurance industry or the legal process. Then, present that information in a digestible way. People are motivated to share so their friends and family can also be “in the know.”
- Timely responses to big stories. Just “re-blogging” news stories isn’t likely to garner much attention, but thoughtful responses to major stories can make waves. While you don’t want to attract the wrong kind of attention by being tactless, you can turn heads by explaining more about the issues behind the news and how that relates to your perfect clients’ lives. For example, an estate planning attorney could talk about the issues with Aretha Franklin’s estate as a jumping-off point to talk about why it’s so important to have a will.
Add a Professional Polish That Brings Out the Best
Even with a great story, your content needs to look good. Sure, poor-quality videos and misspelled messages go viral all the time, but that isn’t what you want people to remember about you and your business.
By putting thought into the presentation and format of your content, you give yourself the best chance to turn heads.
You also want to make sure that, if your content does take off, interested people land on a website that works and makes you look good. Otherwise, you risk making an embarrassing mistake and leaving your audience confused.
Don’t forget to take some extra time to write an attention-grabbing headline and choose a main image that will “pop.” These are usually the first things people see, and they make a huge difference in whether they decide to click through and read more.
Practice Fearlessness in the Face of the Unknown (But Do it Wisely)
Remember when Psy’s “Gangnam Style” blew up the internet and went on to become an international craze?
What you may not know is that Psy was initially hesitant about putting “Gangnam Style” on YouTube. He was worried that it wouldn’t appeal to an international audience, and he knew he wasn’t the most conventional “pop star,” even at home.
After encouragement from his staff, he agreed to put it out there, and a song poking fun at South Korea’s social elite became a sensation around the world. Rather than a “humiliation” for the artist, “Gangnam Style” became the first video to reach more than one billion views on YouTube. Even years later, there are a ton of people all over the world who can still break out the signature dance moves on demand. How’s that for a viral success?
While you can’t force your content to go viral, you can create the best content for your perfect clients and put it in front of them. You also seek the guidance of the people that you most trust to give you good advice and make you look good.
And, sometimes, you have to take risks or try something a little different to succeed.
Even if there’s only a slim chance that your content will “go viral” and be seen by millions, these kinds of efforts are what will increase your overall visibility, attract more of the kinds of clients you want, show that you are an authority in your field, and make your unique personality stand out online.
Need help keeping track of your performance online? Want an easier way to tweak your website to better reach the people you want to impress? Check out our brand-new DSS SEO & Website Health Tool, and start getting better control of your marketing.