Frequently Asked Questions About the Best Website Design and Marketing for Attorneys, Doctors, and Other Professionals
Below are some questions many clients have when they first contact Foster Web Marketing about the online marketing world.
The questions below may address many initial concerns you may have. If you don't find your answers here, you should contact us for answers to any questions specific to your firm.
- Page 10
What is my unique selling proposition, and how does it apply to attorney search engine marketing?
Although it seems like you should be aiming for a broad audience with your attorney search engine marketing, the most effective online marketing efforts focus on a narrow audience with unique concerns. When you first get started with online marketing, you should be thinking about your “unique selling proposition,” which is really just a fancy way of describing what makes your law firm special and what you have to offer to your clients.
So why does it matter? Here are just a few reasons why your unique selling proposition is so important to online marketing:
- It should be at the core of your overall online marketing strategy. It can be a challenge to stand out from the crowd of online competitors. Getting a clear idea of what makes your services unique helps you build up a strong attorney marketing strategy that really showcases what you have to offer.
- It’s easier to target the clients who need your services. Effective attorney search engine marketing focuses on attracting your ideal clients—and your ideal client is largely attracted by the things that make you special. Figuring out what sets you apart from your competitors helps you focus your marketing attention on your unique areas of interest and expertise, which brings in more relevant contacts.
- It helps you establish an online “personality.” What is the personality of your law firm? How do you work with the clients who visit your office? A big part of what makes your law firm special is what you bring to the table in experience and personality. Letting your personality show online helps potential clients get to know you and makes you stand out from the cold, dry content on other legal sites.
Have more questions related to attorney search engine marketing? Call the team at Foster Web Marketing today at 1-888-886-0939 for help!
The keywords I want to use in my Google AdWords campaign are so expensive. What's a lawyer to do?
A drawback for attorneys wanting to use Google AdWords is that keywords commonly associated with law firms are among the most expensive. Because of this, it's important that you think hard about the keywords you have tied into your Google AdWords campaign. Are they wasting your money? Are they perhaps being seen by too large an audience? If so, it's time to make some changes.
For Big Results, Think Small
In this instance, thinking small means narrowing down your Google AdWords keywords to better target a small, focused group. Just like the content of your website, geo-location-specific keywords should be used in your law firm’s Google AdWords campaign.
Using a highly targeted keyword—“car accident in Dallas need legal help” instead of “Dallas accident lawyer”—will not only save you money, it will help you zero in on your target audience and your ideal client. So, while this narrow focus might not get you a ton of impressions or ad views, it will be seen by those looking for an attorney like you.
Do it right, and your ad campaign will not just be successful, it will save you money. By avoiding the big, expensive Google AdWords keywords, your ads will only be viewed and clicked on by those who entered a keyword phrase close to your highly targeted keyword.
If you want help getting Google AdWords right, call 888.886.0939 to speak with a member of our attorney marketing team. We can help you launch and maintain a highly successful PPC advertising campaign.
What is brand hijacking? As an attorney, should I be concerned?
Brand hijacking is the practice of using a competitor’s name as a keyword in a Google AdWords PPC campaign. For you, this means that, if your competitor wishes, he or she can put your firm’s name as one of their keywords. If they do so, and someone types in your firm’s name, the ad for your competitor will appear.
This can confuse prospective clients and, in the worst-case scenario, have them calling and hiring your competitor. Not cool.
Yes. You Should Be Concerned.
This is a pretty big deal. In some cases, it's taking away from the contacts an attorney gets and has a serious effect on business. In fact, hijacked law firms sometimes find their competitor’s location coming up on Google Maps! Clearly, this is a “black hat” practice. It's unfair—plain and simple.
But is it illegal? Not yet. In fact, a recent court case in Wisconsin found that freedom of speech allows businesses to use the names of their competitors in Google AdWords. The court recognized that individuals do have the right to preserve the integrity of their name, but that freedom of speech trumped this right.
So, for now, there is no legal precedent for cases of brand hijacking. Google still has the right to sell your name and the name of your law firm to the highest bidder.
If you are concerned that your brand has been hijacked, call our attorney Google AdWords experts at 888.886.0939. We can help you determine the next best step for your law firm.
Is it possible to have too many online videos on my attorney website?
Is it really possible to have too many videos on your attorney website? Maybe. But a more honest answer is that it’s not really about the number of videos you create or feature on your website—it’s about how you choose to handle those videos and present them to your audience.
If you love making videos and love the positive impact they have on your attorney website traffic, then making a ton of videos isn’t necessarily a bad thing. There is really no hard limit to how many videos you can feature on your site. However, if you have more than a few, you’ll need to put in a little extra work to make sure that potential clients are watching your videos and that your video marketing investment is paying off.
Here are a few tips for handling the presentation of numerous lawyer videos:
- Relevant, unique content. Make sure you’re not making the same video over and over—potential clients won’t watch your videos if you don’t have anything new to say.
- Presentation really matters. Don’t overwhelm visitors with a bunch of embedded videos. Take the time to create, organize, and professionally present your videos. Add relevant videos to your written content, and consider creating a YouTube channel.
- Letting people know about your video library. Although some people may find your video library by searching, many people prefer to watch videos that are recommended through social media sites. Let potential clients know about your video by getting involved with YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, etc.
If you’re ready to start creating and promoting relevant lawyer videos that attract potential clients, the lawyer video marketing team at Foster Web Marketing is ready to help. Get started today by giving us a call at 1-888-886-0939 or filling out the convenient online contact form on this page to learn more!
Why should I post my attorney marketing video to YouTube and other video sites?
You might be surprised at how many people are turning to video as a main source of news and information online. While some people may be directed to your website in search of videos about their legal issues, it’s more likely that a typical internet user will first turn to dedicated video search sites like YouTube. That’s why it’s so important not to limit your attorney video marketing to just your website!
Posting your video to YouTube as well as your own attorney website provides many important SEO benefits, including:
- Posting your video to dedicated video sites offers more ways for potential clients to find your video.
- It’s easy for viewers to comment on your video, post it to social media sites, and share with friends and family.
- Your overall search engine rankings could increase if you upload your video to YouTube.
- Video sites provide a built-in audience and can drive new traffic to your main attorney website or other videos and content.
Interested in getting started with attorney video marketing? The video SEO team with Foster Web Marketing can help! Give us a call today at 1-888-886-0939, or get started by filling out the online contact form on this page. To learn more about the wild world of online video marketing, please also request our helpful, FREE guide, The Small Business Guide to YouTube: How to Get Found by the World’s Most Aggressive Internet Users …And Never Miss Another Lead.
I've been hearing a lot about SMO. What is it, and how does it affect my marketing campaign?
Like search engine optimization for your website, social media optimization (SMO) is a big part of garnering attention for your business through social media sites. Just as in any marketing effort, SMO requires work. You need to think about the needs of your audience, stay in front of them, and treat the content you post on Facebook with the same care as the content you post on your website.
The Do's of SMO
For an effective social media campaign, follow this list of do's:
- Post regularly. On most sites, once a day is plenty. You can get away with several times a day on Twitter, but that many posts on Facebook would be seen as spammy.
- Edit your posts. Self-edit by reading posts out loud or, better yet, ask someone else to look them over.
- Promote your content. Warm up your audience by posting a quote from a blog or article the day before you post it.
- Respond. If you got a phone call or e-mail, you would respond. The same goes for your social media accounts. Respond to every comment or personal message in a timely manner—within 24 hours at the most.
- Set a goal. What do you want to get out of social media? Create long- and short-term goals to guide your social media efforts. An example of a short-term goal might be “get over 100 likes,” while a long-term goal may be “get more car accident injury clients.”
Need more help getting a law firm social media marketing plan in place? Call 888.886.0939. Our team can help you implement a plan, or we can take over your accounts and do the work ourselves. No matter what you choose to do, act soon. Social media is quickly becoming a powerful marketing tool for attorneys.
How can your attorney website content management system help me locate and fix underperforming landing pages?
At Foster Web Marketing, we understand how important it is to keep an eye on the analytics data for your site. After all, your online marketing efforts are just a gamble if you don’t know what you’re doing well and how you could improve. While some content management systems make you look elsewhere for clear analytics data, our Dynamic Self-Syndication™ (DSS™) system features key analytics data for every page on your site.
Locating Problem Pages with DSS™
With DSS™, it’s easy to see which pages aren’t performing well. Each time you log in, you’ll be able to quickly access the bounce rate, number of visits, time spent on page, and more. You’ll immediately be able to determine which pages need attention and which pages are creating a positive buzz among your visitors.
Fixing Unpopular Pages is Easy with DSS™
Beyond having analytics data at your fingertips, our content management system makes it easy to edit, update, or delete poorly performing content. You can easily search for a page, use the built-in text editor to make changes, and add videos, pictures, free offers, and links to make the page more appealing. And the best part is that you can make as many changes as you want while your main website stays live!
If you’d like to learn more about our all-in-one Dynamic Self-Syndication™ (DSS™) attorney website content management solution, reach out to the friendly team at Foster Web Marketing today. Just give us a call at 1-888-886-0939, or fill out the online contact form on this page to get started today!
Why does my attorney website content management system matter so much?
The content management system you use to maintain your attorney website is a key behind-the-scenes player in making your site a success. Your content management system is what allows you to make needed changes and updates to ensure that your website is working for you as online marketing trends and client needs change. If you choose the wrong content management solution, you may find that it’s difficult to use your website to its full effect, especially over time.
Not Every Website Content Management System Is the Same
Your content management system shouldn’t be a barrier to maintaining a great website. With the right content management system, you should be able to easily and quickly:
- Update your website with new articles
- Access and update your website’s internal blog
- Add video content and free offers
- Allow other representatives from your law office to make updates and changes
- Reorganize and delete old content
- Edit existing content
- Update and make minor changes without downtime
- Search for and locate pages that aren’t performing well
If you are looking for an all-in-one attorney website content management solution, try out our easy-to-use Dynamic Self-Syndication (DSS) system. It’s a benefit available to all of our Foster Web Marketing clients, and we’d be happy to show you and your office how to use it to maintain your attorney website. Give us a call today at 1-888-886-0939, or get started by filling out the easy online contact form on this page!
Is YouTube considered a social media site?
Yes. Though you may only be familiar with YouTube as a place to watch funny videos of laughing babies and puppies, YouTube has firmly established itself as a social media website.
What Social Media Is
Social media is any site that provides a network of people with a place to make connections. And, as we are talking about YouTube as a social media site, what better way to show you how social media works than this popular YouTube video describing social media in easy-to-understand terms.
Now that you understand social media—and, if you don't, please ask—we will cover the best ways to use YouTube as a social media platform.
Getting 1 Million Views Is Not the Goal
Let's hope you don't achieve this kind of infamy. As an attorney, any video of you that gets that much attention is likely a bad thing—think uncontrolled tirade in the courtroom or an embarrassing fall that lands you in the lap of a jury member. Instead, you want to use YouTube to build connections and establish yourself as an authority.
Building connections and networks on YouTube can be done in many ways, including:
- Posting quality videos on a regular basis. This keeps those who subscribe to your videos interested and helps establish you as an authority in your area of law.
- Making friends with others in your field. Much like Facebook, you can send out friend requests on YouTube.
- Getting subscribers and favorites. Ask people to subscribe to your channel and favorite the videos they like. Do the same for others.
- Responding to comments. Just like other social media users, people like it when you reply to their comments. As long as they seem to be legitimate comments—not spam or trolling—write a thoughtful response.
Not sure that you have a handle on the social media marketing efforts? Call us at 888.886.0939, and our social media experts will help you make the most of your social media accounts.
Search Our Site
Get Help Now
Complimentary Site Analysis
Get your 8 page report that spells out exactly what is working, what is wrong, and, more importantly, what needs to be done to fix it.
Want To Learn More?
Request a Free Book, Watch a Webinar, Read Our Blog, or Listen to a Podcast
Are you struggling to market your business online? Do you need some help refining your marketing to get you the rankings, clients and revenue you need to be successful?
Take a step toward your goals with Foster Web Marketing's FREE marketing resources. Our books are based on real-world experiences and they will teach you techniques that have proven to work when executed correctly.