Writing a book sounds like a painful task, but that’s only when you don’t have the help of an expert writing and marketing team.
At Foster Web Marketing, we’ve ghostwritten enough legal guides and e-books for our clients that we’ve turned the process into a fast and efficient art. We’ve broken down the whole process into manageable tasks, and we leave the opportunity open for you to be as involved (or not involved) in our marketing services as you wish.
While some lawyers will bring us an almost-finished book or guide to edit, we understand that other attorneys would like us to take the reins on the project from beginning to end. Either way, there is a general shape to the process that we follow, no matter your chosen level of involvement.
The 8-Step Process of Writing a Book With FWM
If you decide to partner with us to create a book, guide, report, or other offer, these are the basic steps you can expect:
- Choose a topic for your attorney book. You know your practice and areas of expertise best, so we ask you to choose the topic or topics for your book. You’re not totally on your own, though! We can also work with you to develop your rough ideas or guide you to unique and creative topics that will deliver the information that your web visitors are looking for.
- Meet with our writer and marketing team for a short interview. Once you have a focused topic in mind, you meet with our marketing team and writer to discuss the details of your book. Depending on the length and complexity of the book, we may need to have you approve an outline or briefly meet with us again to share more information. These meetings are your best chance to tell us what you are looking for, how you see the “tone” of your book, and what kinds of details you’d like it to cover.
- Sit back as we write the first draft of your e-book. This is the easy part for you, but it’s the challenging part for us! While you get on with other work that needs to be done around your office, we write a first draft of your book or guide based on the decisions made in the meetings with our writer.
- Look over the first draft and suggest changes. Once you have the first draft from us in hand, read it over and make any changes or suggestions you have. This is your opportunity to tell us about tonal changes, typos, small mistakes, or big thematic issues that need to be fixed.
- Look over the second draft and make final alterations. If needed, we will write a second draft of your book that incorporates your suggested changes. When you get the second draft, you get a second chance to make suggestions and share your opinions.
- Let us format and design a great cover for your book. Be sure to tell us if you have specific ideas for cover images, colors you’d prefer, or themes you’d like to avoid. With your input, we perfect the book’s internal layout and design and create an effective cover image to post on your website.
- Give your approval to the final draft. We’ll ask you to do a final review of the book with everything put together, designed, and formatted. Make sure that absolutely everything looks the way you want it to, from the content to the design to the cover. Once any final changes are made, it’s time to publish your work!
- Get your book added to your attorney website. We’ll add the book to your attorney website, along with the copy, landing page, banners, and buttons needed to promote it. If you’d also like to produce hard copies of your book to mail to your contacts, we are happy to talk about the print-publishing options available to you.
Now, watch as visitors begin to download their own copies of your, request print copies, and call your office for help! To increase the effectiveness of your new book, don’t forget to launch follow-up campaigns and promote the release through email and social media.
Just because writing an attorney book takes a significant amount of time and effort doesn’t mean it has to take up all of your time. At Foster Web Marketing, we mix your expertise with the strength and talents of our team to create great marketing tools for your website, quickly and efficiently. From start to finish, we generally produce your book for you in three months or less.
Want to get started on your new book right away? Check out our book writing services or give us a call at 888.886.0939.
What If I’ve Already Started a Book and Need Help Finishing It?
We understand that writing your own book can be an overwhelming task. This is especially true for busy lawyers and other professionals who may possess the skills and knowledge to write effectively, but who simply do not have time or know-how to complete a polished final product.
It doesn’t matter if you’ve only jotted down some ideas, have a working outline, have a rough draft, or have an almost-finished product that just needs a professional touch. No matter where you are in the writing process, we offer attorney book-writing services to suit your needs.
You can have as much or as little control as you’re comfortable with and still end up with a professional final product. We can even just provide the editing and formatting services for you when the writing is done!
Interested? Contact us at 888.886.0939 or browse our book writing services to work out a plan that will make your book a reality.