Like search engine optimization for your website, social media optimization (SMO) is a big part of garnering attention for your business through social media sites. Just as in any marketing effort, SMO requires work. You need to think about the needs of your audience, stay in front of them, and treat the content you post on Facebook with the same care as the content you post on your website.
The Do's of SMO
For an effective social media campaign, follow this list of do's:
- Post regularly. On most sites, once a day is plenty. You can get away with several times a day on Twitter, but that many posts on Facebook would be seen as spammy.
- Edit your posts. Self-edit by reading posts out loud or, better yet, ask someone else to look them over.
- Promote your content. Warm up your audience by posting a quote from a blog or article the day before you post it.
- Respond. If you got a phone call or e-mail, you would respond. The same goes for your social media accounts. Respond to every comment or personal message in a timely manner—within 24 hours at the most.
- Set a goal. What do you want to get out of social media? Create long- and short-term goals to guide your social media efforts. An example of a short-term goal might be “get over 100 likes,” while a long-term goal may be “get more car accident injury clients.”
Need more help getting a law firm social media marketing plan in place? Call 888.886.0939. Our team can help you implement a plan, or we can take over your accounts and do the work ourselves. No matter what you choose to do, act soon. Social media is quickly becoming a powerful marketing tool for attorneys.