There’s no doubt that YouTube is the most popular video hosting site on the whole internet, and it’s held that position for quite some time. But what if I asked you to guess the most popular social media site in the United States?
Would you say Facebook? Would you say Instagram or Twitter?
Well, you’d be wrong.
YouTube has firmly established itself as a social media site over the years, where people regularly share videos with others and make connections. And, according to a Pew Research survey conducted at the start of 2021, YouTube is now the most popular social media site in the nation.
That’s right! It’s not even by a slim margin—around 81% of Americans report using YouTube, while only around 69% report using Facebook. The study also shows that YouTube is at the top of the list for fastest growing social media sites, while Facebook and most other social media sites have stayed stagnant since 2019.
That means the most popular video-sharing site in the world has now officially edged out Facebook to become the most popular social media site, too!
And that’s not even all. YouTube is ALSO one of the most popular search engines in the whole world, second only to its parent company Google.
Whew! That’s a lot of things for one site to be to a lot of people. And, if YouTube doesn’t figure into your social media marketing plan, then you’re missing out on something BIG.
How to Get Social on YouTube as a Business Owner
A lot of lawyers and doctors are hesitant to get involved in YouTube. They think, “my video will never go viral, so what’s the point?”
But—news flash—getting a million views on your video is not the goal. It might be nice, but going viral with one video doesn’t necessarily further your goal of getting more leads and clients for your business. Besides, videos often go viral for all the wrong reasons.
Instead, like all true social media sites, making YouTube work for your business is really about making connections. You want to cultivate a loyal group of viewers that tune into your videos every week, and you want to create videos that attract good leads because they answer the right questions at the right time.
So, if you want to make connections that turn into clients, you have to put yourself out there and show yourself at your best. Not sure where to get started?
Here are some of our best tips for getting social on YouTube:
- Personalize your YouTube Channel. Your Channel is the hub of all the videos you post to YouTube, so make sure you use the options available to make it truly yours. You can curate your videos, create playlists, choose featured videos, and more. Not sure how to make it happen? Get step-by-step instructions for creating and personalizing a YouTube Channel for your business.
- Answer questions. Since YouTube is also an important search engine, you should approach your video creation a lot like you approach the content on your website. You need to make it about your perfect clients! If you can answer the questions they’re asking, then you’ll make instant connections with the people that truly need your services, right when they need you. Learn more about meeting your potential clients in micro-moments.
- Post quality videos on a regular basis. If you’re going to put the effort into using YouTube as a marketing tool, aim to keep a consistent publishing schedule. Whether it’s twice a week or once a month, a regular schedule will keep your subscribers interested and go a long way toward establishing you as the go-to expert in your area of expertise.
- Optimize your videos. YouTube also gives you a fair number of built-in options to personalize your videos and optimize them for search. If you can do this masterfully, your videos will look a lot more professional, and they’ll perform a lot better in YouTube searches. Find out more about how to optimize and promote your videos to get more viewers.
- Make friends with others in your field. Again, social media sites are all about connections. So, reach out to other creators you really enjoy, as well as other experts in your field. “Like” their videos. Subscribe to their Channels. Leave them a comment, and get a great conversation going. Interview them on your Channel, or collaborate in another way. It’s not just a great way to network—it’s also a great way to show your expertise and share it with new audiences.
- Ask for what you want. Adding a quick reminder in your video to like, subscribe, and hit the bell for notifications will drive more people to do so. The same goes for your own offers, services, and goals. So, mention your free book and other promotions. Put your phone number at the bottom of the screen. Invite viewers to visit your website or schedule a consultation. Briefly ask again in the description section of your video. It’s such a simple thing to do, but it makes a huge difference in the success of your videos.
- Encourage and respond to comments. Ask questions in your video that encourage people to leave comments. And make sure you reply to their comments if they do take the time to say something! Thoughtful responses to viewer comments humanize your channel, increase trust, and show that you’re a pro that cares about what your viewers have to say.
Not sure you have a handle on your social media marketing efforts? Our marketing experts would love to show you how to make the most of your social media accounts, including YouTube.
Just join us for a hands-on analysis of your website and marketing efforts, or give us a call at 888.886.0939.
You can also try out our social media tool if you sign up for a free DSS software demo!
Is Your Law Firm Or Medical Practice Getting Leads From Your Social Media Marketing Efforts?
Not convinced your current social media marketing is converting leads into clients? No worries! Foster Web Marketing can help. Please contact us online or call our office directly at 888.866.0939 to schedule your free consultation with our experienced marketing team. We have been helping clients throughout the United States and internationally since 1998 and are confident we can help you not only reach, but exceed your goals.