You’ve Got Questions About SEO, and We’ve Got Answers!
Our clients often ask us questions about SEO, and for good reason! The rules of SEO seem to change frequently and keeping up with the current recommendations is a daunting task. Here, we answer the most common questions our SEO team gets.
We hope that you find the SEO answers you seek on this page. If you don’t please do not hesitate to call 888-886-0939 to speak with a member of our U.S.-based SEO team.
- Page 3
How do I improve my website bounce rate?
Trying to figure out Google’s and other websites’ analytics can be extremely confusing. What do all of the ratios and rankings actually mean? Since bounce rate is the percentage of single-page visits compared to visitors who view more than one page of a website, the best way to improve it is to keep visitors on your site.
So let us answer this question instead: “What can I do to keep people from leaving my website?” Here are five simple things you can do:
- Add well-written content. Studies have shown that one of the main reasons visitors will click away from a site and proceed to block it from search results is because of misspellings and poor grammar. (Along with poor grammar, here are some more stats on why people bounce.)
- Add relevant content. Nothing will make a visitor leave in a click of frustration faster than discovering that your article had nothing to do with what you claimed it was about. Fluffing meta descriptions to draw people to the page will backfire if the page isn’t actually about what is described.
- Add call-to-actions to your content. Give people a reason to keep browsing through your site. Phrases like “check out this article on how to prevent car accidents” or “request a free copy of our book” will encourage readers to check out other pages.
- Add credibility to your content. Offering a wealth of common-sense information on your website at no charge shows that you are willing to take the time to educate the community. This shows that you are most likely an expert in your field.
- Add lots of content. Give people something to look at. It makes sense that a visitor would leave your site if there are only five total pages to view. Providing readers with pages and pages of options increases the chances that they will stick around for a while.
Want to learn more SEO optimization tips to help your bounce rate? Let the experts at Foster Web Marketing help you. Feel free to call us toll-free at 888-886-0939, fill out our online form, or chat with one of our live representatives today.
How do I choose the right keywords for my website?
Determining the best keywords for a website used to be easy when search engines like Google put most of their ranking emphasis on whatever one- or two-word phrases you chose to hyperlink. Since then, virtually all businesses have jumped on the website bandwagon and become aware (if not savvy) about SEO.
Now things are much, much different. While content is still King, the phrases and words you use are now only helpful if they have actual substance and meaning.
This means that you now have to do a little leg work. You must research what keywords will best suit your practice and utilize them across the all of your marketing practices, including in your videos, your social media, and on your website.
But how exactly are you supposed to find the keywords you need when you don't even know where to start? We know that the process of maintaining SEO can be confusing and a huge challenge, which is why our FWM SEO gurus put together a list of the top ways to determine keywords:
- Searcher intent. Take an afternoon to sit down and really think about what went through your clients' heads immediately before they made the decision to contact you. If you're a personal injury attorney, perhaps it was figuring out who would pay for the medical bills after the car accident. If you are a doctor, perhaps it was their foot pain when running. Ask yourself "Why would they choose you over your competitor?" Once you put yourself in your potential client's shoes, you will soon realize that "Gotham City attorney" or "Metropolis plastic surgeon" no longer cuts it as a keyword phrase.
- Avoid highly competitive keywords. We've already established that vague keywords like "Gotham City attorney" are becoming useless, but another reason to avoid them is because they are overused. You wouldn't keep spending money on a raffle if the odds of winning were very slim, so why would you keep pumping time and effort (a.k.a. money) into keywords in which you might never be found due to stiff local or national competition?
- Use layman's terms and avoid legal, medical or business-specific jargon. After decades of working in your chosen field, you are more than familiar with terms you use everyday. But you must remember that many of the people you are trying to reach have never even needed your services before, so you must use common terminology in your content and keywords.
- Use tools like Google's Keyword Tool or Google Analytics to get a jump-start on what people are currently searching to find your site.
- Ask us! We'd be happy to help you determine the best keywords for your site, or simply take over the whole process for you. For more information on how FWM can help, call us at 888-886-0939 or fill out our online form today.
How can I maintain my attorney website’s SEO success?
If your attorney website is already performing well in the search engine rankings and drawing in contacts and clients for your law firm, then it’s a good time to sit down and think about how you can maintain that SEO success. One of the biggest mistakes that people make is to start slacking on their SEO as soon as they start to reap the benefits of the groundwork they’ve put in. Effective search engine optimization is an evolving beast, and great search engine rankings aren’t a one-time achievement—your SEO campaign needs sustained attention if you want it to keep working for you.
Here are a few things you can do to keep your online attorney marketing campaign going strong:
- Create additional content related to popular topics. If you’ve had a lot of success with certain keywords and types of content, continue to build on your success by expanding on what has been popular in the past.
- Engage with your potential clients through social media. There’s no doubt that the Web is social, and engaging with your audience through Facebook or Twitter can be a great way to continue driving traffic to your site. If you’re not already involved in social media for your business, it’s definitely time to get started.
- Post relevant content regularly. If you aren’t posting new content regularly, you’re probably missing out on some visibility. Google rewards frequent posters, so it’s worth taking the time to create and schedule content each month.
- Keep current with current “white hat” SEO trends. Old or manipulative SEO tactics can harm your site’s ranking in the blink of an eye. Make sure you understand the most current SEO guidelines and adhere to them.
If you need help building a successful online attorney marketing campaign, or if you are looking for help managing your SEO needs, our friendly attorney SEO team can help. Give us a call today at 1-888-886-0939 with any further questions or concerns.
What is my unique selling proposition, and how does it apply to attorney search engine marketing?
Although it seems like you should be aiming for a broad audience with your attorney search engine marketing, the most effective online marketing efforts focus on a narrow audience with unique concerns. When you first get started with online marketing, you should be thinking about your “unique selling proposition,” which is really just a fancy way of describing what makes your law firm special and what you have to offer to your clients.
So why does it matter? Here are just a few reasons why your unique selling proposition is so important to online marketing:
- It should be at the core of your overall online marketing strategy. It can be a challenge to stand out from the crowd of online competitors. Getting a clear idea of what makes your services unique helps you build up a strong attorney marketing strategy that really showcases what you have to offer.
- It’s easier to target the clients who need your services. Effective attorney search engine marketing focuses on attracting your ideal clients—and your ideal client is largely attracted by the things that make you special. Figuring out what sets you apart from your competitors helps you focus your marketing attention on your unique areas of interest and expertise, which brings in more relevant contacts.
- It helps you establish an online “personality.” What is the personality of your law firm? How do you work with the clients who visit your office? A big part of what makes your law firm special is what you bring to the table in experience and personality. Letting your personality show online helps potential clients get to know you and makes you stand out from the cold, dry content on other legal sites.
Have more questions related to attorney search engine marketing? Call the team at Foster Web Marketing today at 1-888-886-0939 for help!
How long does it take to see the results of attorney search engine marketing?
It really depends. Some attorneys start seeing results immediately, and other attorneys need a few months—or even a year—to tweak their online marketing campaigns and start building traffic. It’s important to understand that SEO isn’t a one-time thing or an overnight solution. Great SEO takes a little time and attention.
Here are just a few of the factors that can affect how soon you start seeing results from your online marketing efforts—and how effective those results are:
- How relevant your content is to potential clients. If potential clients start finding your site and fail to find anything useful, your page rankings are going to struggle. Make sure you’re offering something that is meaningful and relevant to your clients—something that encourages them to reach out to you.
- How targeted your keywords are. The keywords you use to attract traffic should be relevant to the types of clients you’re really looking for. Think about your ideal client and the types of words or phrases he or she might use to find you online.
- How much competition you face. If you are in a highly competitive market with an active online presence, you may struggle more in the beginning than other businesses in less competitive markets. It may be difficult to compete for the most desirable keywords, and it can help to apply your creativity and be vigilant in updating content regularly.
If you have questions about more effective SEO for lawyers, speak with the friendly attorney search engine marketing team at Foster Web Marketing today. Just give us a call at 1-888-886-0939!
How can I best search engine optimize my meta descriptions?
When it comes to search engine bots ranking your web page, meta descriptions don’t count for very much. However, having a pithy, interesting, and well-written meta description can greatly help your click-through rate and help attract readers to your website.
Here are a few SEO meta description tips to keep in mind when writing content for your attorney website:
- The best meta descriptions are ones that very accurately describe the content on your page.
- Never cut and paste the same generic meta description onto multiple pages.
- Keep your meta description under 160 characters so that it is not likely to be cut off when it appears in the search results.
- Don’t stuff your meta description with keywords—it does not help your SEO.
- Never leave your meta-description field blank.
- Take an extra minute to make your meta description interesting and effective.
At Foster Web Marketing, we specialize in providing attorneys with awesome SEO services and training attorneys to take the search engine optimization of their websites into their own hands. To learn more about what we do—and to find out how we can help you—call us today at 888-886-0939 to schedule a free meeting.
How can I best search engine optimize my web page titles?
Your web page titles are one of the most important aspects of your attorney website, and search engines weigh them heavily when ranking your page. It is vital to take the time to write a search engine optimized title that also grabs the attention of readers.
Here are some quick tips:
- Don’t make your page titles too long or too short. Google accepts 70 characters – stick with that limit.
- Put a good keyword or two in your title, but never stuff your title with more. Search engines and readers will notice, and it won’t make them happy.
- Make sure your title is relevant to the content. The closer they match, the happier both the search engine bots and your readers will be.
- Never cut and paste generic titles onto multiple pages of your website.
- Be certain that your title makes sense and is not just a string of important keywords.
- Make sure that your title speaks to the needs and emotions of the reader.
- Take an extra moment to make your title really interesting and well written.
Do you need professional help with your attorney website SEO? We are here to help. Call Foster Web Marketing today to learn more about our services and talk to a member of our marketing team at 888-886-0939.
Won’t search engine optimization just make my attorney website look “spammy?”
Not if you’re doing it right! There’s a common misconception that all search engine optimization services use “black hat” SEO techniques – like keyword lists, keyword stuffing, or paid links – to trick search engines into ranking their sites highly. This is simply not true.
At Foster Web Marketing, we believe that your SEO should never get in the way of a great user experience and that you shouldn’t have to trick search engines – or your readers – into visiting your site. Instead, you should focus on providing an online marketing experience that helps you engage with readers, answer their questions, and encourage them to reach out to you for help. We want search engines and visitors to like your site because it’s actually good and easy to find!
Great Attorney SEO Is All About Enhancing the User Experience
A few years ago, it was possible to manipulate search engine algorithms by stuffing your site with irrelevant keywords or paid links. These days, search engines frown on those activities and, instead, reward sites that provide solid content and please visitors.
When you contact our online attorney marketing team, we’ll start by helping you build a website that looks professional and reflects the personality of your law firm. Once it’s live, we’ll help you maintain an engaging and professional online marketing plan, upload original and relevant online content, get started with social media and video, and adjust to the latest trends and changes in the online marketing world.
If you’d like to learn more about doing SEO right, contact our online attorney marketing team today at 1-888-886-0939!
How can I avoid using outdated SEO tactics in my online attorney marketing?
The rules of online attorney marketing change quickly. If you don’t know much about modern SEO, or if your attorney website is a few years old, you could be engaging in once-helpful tactics that are now actually harmful to your image and rankings. Here are a few guidelines for avoiding outdated or manipulative SEO techniques:
- Stop trying to manipulate search engines. Keyword stuffing, buying links, and blog spamming are a thing of the past. Instead of attempting to manipulate search engine algorithms, search engines now reward you for creating engaging and unique content that naturally attracts visitors.
- Pay attention to major search engine changes. Search engines are always improving, and that means that some perfectly legitimate SEO trends can change literally overnight. Keep up on the news, and be prepared to adjust your marketing strategy as needed.
- Focus on your potential clients. Web users are increasingly savvy, and they won’t stick around for sites using obvious manipulation tactics and junk content. Always try to provide a great user experience and engaging content, which keeps your potential clients (and search engines) happy and never goes out of style.
- Hire an online marketing team to help. Keeping up with your online attorney marketing can be a time-consuming chore, and it’s easy to fall behind the times when you’re busy with clients. Hiring an experienced attorney SEO team means that you can quickly adjust to search engine changes and important new trends while focusing on what you do best – practicing the law and working with clients.
Ready to learn more? Reach out to Foster Web Marketing at 1-888-886-0939, or just fill out the quick contact form on this page for more information!
Search Our Site
Get Help Now
Complimentary Site Analysis
Get your 8 page report that spells out exactly what is working, what is wrong, and, more importantly, what needs to be done to fix it.
Want To Learn More?
Request a Free Book, Watch a Webinar, Read Our Blog, or Listen to a Podcast
Are you struggling to market your business online? Do you need some help refining your marketing to get you the rankings, clients and revenue you need to be successful?
Take a step toward your goals with Foster Web Marketing's FREE marketing resources. Our books are based on real-world experiences and they will teach you techniques that have proven to work when executed correctly.