You’ve Got Questions About SEO, and We’ve Got Answers!
Our clients often ask us questions about SEO, and for good reason! The rules of SEO seem to change frequently and keeping up with the current recommendations is a daunting task. Here, we answer the most common questions our SEO team gets.
We hope that you find the SEO answers you seek on this page. If you don’t please do not hesitate to call 888-886-0939 to speak with a member of our U.S.-based SEO team.
- Page 4
How can I avoid using outdated SEO tactics in my online attorney marketing?
The rules of online attorney marketing change quickly. If you don’t know much about modern SEO, or if your attorney website is a few years old, you could be engaging in once-helpful tactics that are now actually harmful to your image and rankings. Here are a few guidelines for avoiding outdated or manipulative SEO techniques:
- Stop trying to manipulate search engines. Keyword stuffing, buying links, and blog spamming are a thing of the past. Instead of attempting to manipulate search engine algorithms, search engines now reward you for creating engaging and unique content that naturally attracts visitors.
- Pay attention to major search engine changes. Search engines are always improving, and that means that some perfectly legitimate SEO trends can change literally overnight. Keep up on the news, and be prepared to adjust your marketing strategy as needed.
- Focus on your potential clients. Web users are increasingly savvy, and they won’t stick around for sites using obvious manipulation tactics and junk content. Always try to provide a great user experience and engaging content, which keeps your potential clients (and search engines) happy and never goes out of style.
- Hire an online marketing team to help. Keeping up with your online attorney marketing can be a time-consuming chore, and it’s easy to fall behind the times when you’re busy with clients. Hiring an experienced attorney SEO team means that you can quickly adjust to search engine changes and important new trends while focusing on what you do best – practicing the law and working with clients.
Ready to learn more? Reach out to Foster Web Marketing at 1-888-886-0939, or just fill out the quick contact form on this page for more information!
In my online law firm marketing, should I try to go for highly competitive keywords, or should I avoid keywords with a lot of competition?
This is a great question; however, there isn’t a completely clear answer. Although highly competitive keywords can be relevant to your practice and popular for your online audience, you may find it difficult to get the kind of page rankings you’d like to see. For many popular keywords, it can be a struggle to even show up in the first page or two of results! Even if you make it to page one, you may not rank as highly as you could with a slightly less competitive keyword phrase.
The trick to choosing the best keywords for your online website content will probably boil down to using a mix of both highly competitive keywords and more creative and targeted keywords. Spend some time thinking about the kinds of services you offer and the kinds of questions your potential clients are likely to have. Use online keyword research and monitoring tools to determine which keywords are driving clients to you, and use that information to build stronger and more specific keywords for your online content.
The important thing is to regularly review your keywords and decide what’s working for you. Some attorneys find that certain highly competitive keywords are worth the constant struggle for a better ranking, while other attorneys may find that less competitive keywords actually bring in more potential clients who are ready to hire an attorney.
If you need a hand with your online law firm marketing and keyword research, reach out to the experts at Foster Web Marketing today. We’d be happy to help you chose great keywords, incorporate them effectively with your online content, and monitor their effectiveness to hone your marketing focus. Just give us a call today at 1-888-886-0939, or fill out our easy online contact form for more information.
How do I know which keywords to focus on for my online marketing campaign?
Using the right keywords is essential to online marketing for your business, and the success of your search engine optimization efforts often hinge on it. If you’re confused about keywords, it’s definitely worth the time and effort to learn more and seek guidance.
To give you a better idea how to get started, here are a few ways to determine which keywords you should be focusing on:
- Monitor your keywords using available tools. If you already have an online marketing campaign in place, then choosing which keywords to focus on can be as easy as taking advantage of online tools and looking at what’s working.
- Choose keywords that are relevant. Targeting your keywords to your audience is really the key for getting an online audience that actually needs your services. Make sure your keywords are relevant to your practice and what you do.
- Choose keywords that are actually driving traffic to your site. No matter how relevant a keyword is, it’s useless to you unless people are actually using that term to search for and find you.
- If you’re looking for local customers, focus on local keywords. Unless you work on the national or international level, you’re probably looking for clients from your local area. Be sure to incorporate your location in your keywords and focus on targeted potential clients in your area.
Need help with choosing appropriate keywords for your online attorney marketing campaign? Our search engine optimization experts would happy to discuss online marketing for attorneys and what you can do to build a stronger online presence that works for you and your law firm. Just give us a call today at 1-888-886-0939, or fill out our online contact form for more information.
How can I build my online credibility with attorney SEO in mind?
Appearing credible to both Google and your potential clients is a key element of effective attorney SEO, but it can be difficult to know where to get started. Here are three easy ways to increase your online credibility and improve your search engine optimization:
- Don’t use “black hat” SEO tactics. Web users these days are getting more savvy—and so is Google’s algorithm. Using underhanded tactics like keyword stuffing, hidden links, useless content, etc., is usually a one-way ticket to wrecking your credibility.
- Use high-quality images and video. Using unrelated, low-quality pictures or putting up a bunch of poorly lit webcam videos could actually hurt your credibility more than having no images at all! Make the extra effort to use high-quality image content for your viewers, and consider using a professional video team to present you as the professional you are.
- Use your content to answer questions. Content carries a lot of weight in attorney SEO, and most of your online readers are looking for answers when they find you. Taking the time to answer common questions and clarify common experiences helps establish you as the authority to turn to with legal issues.
- Pay attention to your links. Although it often goes overlooked, establishing and maintaining relevant links can be a huge boon to your online marketing efforts. Avoid paid links, spammy links, or links to and from low-quality sites so that Google knows you’re a credible site.
Does your attorney website look unprofessional or just need a little love? Reach out to our online attorney marketing team today, and let’s talk about it. Give Foster Web Marketing a call at 888-886-0939, or fill out our easy online contact form for more information.
I don’t understand what to do with all the information I get through Google analytics. Is it really necessary for my attorney SEO?
Analytics is a crucial part of attorney SEO – the data you receive through analytics can tell you how effective your online attorney marketing is, what keywords are working, and where your law firm website could use some work. Used correctly, analytics can be a guiding force in building the kind of online presence that brings in more contacts, more clients, and is truly a benefit for your law firm.
Here are the questions that analytics software can help you answer:
- What keywords are bringing people to my site?
- Where is most of my traffic coming from?
- Are the people who find me finding what they need when they get here?
- What are my most popular pages?
Using analytics, you can fine-tune your online marketing plan, know what’s working (and what isn’t), give your potential clients what they’re looking for, and stay on top of the frequent changes to Google’s search algorithm.
Sound pretty good? It is! If you need help making better use of your analytics data, the online attorney marketing team with Foster Web Marketing can help! Speak with us today at 1-888-886-0939, or simply fill out our convenient online contact form for more information.
And, for more great information about beefing up your online marketing, request your FREE copy of our must-read book The 5 Biggest Mistakes 99% of Lawyers Make with Their Websites. This important guide explains more about the most common attorney website pitfalls and how effective use of “white hat” SEO can help you get seen.
You guys keep talking about “white hat” SEO and why it’s important, but I’ve seen my competitors outrank me on Google using what you call “black hat” techniques. What’s The Point of “White Hat” SEO if These Other Sites Can Outrank Me?
Sites that use link farms, keyword stuffing, hidden text, and other techniques designed to outsmart Google’s algorithm may benefit from a traffic spike in the short term, but they only stand to lose users in the long term. Google is constantly updating its algorithm to weed out the sites which use these unsavory tactics, and it’s a pretty good bet that those sites will—sooner or later—face penalties.
Google Search has a single goal in mind, and that goal is connecting users to the best match for their search queries. If you’ve cheated your way to the top, then your potential clients won’t find what they need—and Google will notice. Is a spike in traffic now really worth losing those contacts and your page ranking later? Probably not.
When it comes to “white hat” SEO, what we’re really talking about is helping you create and optimize a website that informs, answers questions, provides great content, and engages users—so that your page rises to the top because it really deserves to be there. “Black hat” SEO always will be about cheap tricks, trying to find a way around Google’s efforts to penalize you, and leaving users disappointed.
Don’t Disappoint Your Potential Clients
“White hat” search engine optimization may seem complicated, but in the hands of a professional it’s almost like magic. Let us handle your online attorney marketing and do the hard work while you focus on what you do best: practicing law and building relationships with your clients. Speak with a member of our expert attorney search engine optimization team today at 888-886-0939, or fill out our online contact form for more information.
To learn more about marketing on the Web and making the most of what’s out there, take a look at our must-read book, The 5 Biggest Mistakes 99% of Lawyers Make with Their Websites, and take your law firm marketing to the next level!
What Is a Call to Action, And Why Is It Important for My Attorney Website?
A call to action on a webpage is an invitation for your visitor to take the next step. Instead of passively reading your website and moving on, a call to action asks them to make a move toward building a relationship with your business. A call to action can be concrete (“Click here!”) or more open-ended (“Let us hear from you!”).
Here are a few common calls to action that can be found on websites for lawyers:
Call to schedule a free consultation.
Provide us with your contact information.
Tell us your story.
Download our free legal guide or ebook.
Leave a comment on our blog post.
Follow us on Twitter.
Chat now with an online representative.
Why is it important for your lawyer website user to act? While getting tons of web traffic is great, the real, final purpose of your website is to connect with great new clients. A call to action invites these potential clients to initiate your relationship.
Does your lawyer website lack strong calls to action? Or are your calls to action not producing results? The online marketing experts at Foster can help. Call us today at 1.888.886.0939 (see what we just did there?).
How Will the Google Panda Update Change Lawyer Web Design?
Ever since Google announced its new search engine protocol (dubbed "Panda"), attorneys have been wondering what they need to do to their websites to make certain that their pages still rank well and protect against future search engine algorithm changes.
More than anything, the Panda update teaches us that the world of SEO is ever changing, and that it will always be much more valuable to focus on producing clean design and high-quality content than to focus on tricking the system. While old SEO strategies would have you stuff articles with keywords and concentrate on article directories, the new solution is realizing that some things will never go out of style: user-friendly sites, unique content, and giving visitors the information that they are looking for.
So, what do you need to do to your attorney website design to keep up with the Panda? We recommend that you take a close look at your site, and see whether it is catering to visitors or trying to trick search engines. Focus on content users want instead of the content search engines might like.
Need professional SEO help to tackle the Panda? Call Foster Web Marketing today at 1.888.886.0939.
Should I choose an SEO-driven domain name or a marketable domain name?
There are advantages to choosing a keyword-rich domain name, and there are advantages to choosing a marketable or "brandable" domain name. It is important to look at the pros and cons of both choices, as much of the answer depends on what kind of website you would like to build for your business.
Picking a marketable domain name is advantageous because it will be memorable, and because it will help build your brand. Some of the most popular websites in the world -such as Twitter, Reddit, Facebook, Amazon, and Zappos - don't have any key words at all in their domain name but rather focus on a memorable, unique word.
Picking a SEO-driven domain name will currently help you when it comes to search engine rankings, and those looking for a "NYC Attorney" might have an easier time finding your site if your domain name is NYCattorney.com. However, having a keyword-rich domain name also means you lose the chance to have a memorable website - your domain name could be confused with the law office that runs NYClawyer.com, for example. In addition, Google has considered making the presence of keywords in domain names less important in their search engine algorithm.
Do you need assistance improving and growing your business' website? Speak with an SEO and online-marketing expert at Foster Web Marketing today.
Search Our Site
Get Help Now
Complimentary Site Analysis
Get your 8 page report that spells out exactly what is working, what is wrong, and, more importantly, what needs to be done to fix it.
Want To Learn More?
Request a Free Book, Watch a Webinar, Read Our Blog, or Listen to a Podcast
Are you struggling to market your business online? Do you need some help refining your marketing to get you the rankings, clients and revenue you need to be successful?
Take a step toward your goals with Foster Web Marketing's FREE marketing resources. Our books are based on real-world experiences and they will teach you techniques that have proven to work when executed correctly.