Frequently Asked Questions About the Best Website Design and Marketing for Attorneys, Doctors, and Other Professionals
Below are some questions many clients have when they first contact Foster Web Marketing about the online marketing world.
The questions below may address many initial concerns you may have. If you don't find your answers here, you should contact us for answers to any questions specific to your firm.
- Page 15
How can I tell if my attorney website is too cluttered?
When it comes to attorney website design, more is not always better. While some lawyer websites might suffer from being too plain, it is safe to say that more lawyer websites suffer from being too cluttered and busy.
To determine whether your website might be overcrowded, ask yourself the following questions:
- Does my website have a focal point – a place that naturally draws the eye?
- Do new visitors know where to click when they land on my page?
- Is it easy to find the most important information on my website?
- Is landing on my homepage overwhelming to visitors?
- Do users have to scroll to find vital information or contact information?
If you answered, “yes,” to any of the above questions, you may want to think about redesigning your website to make it easier to navigate and more inviting. If you still aren’t sure if your website and homepage are too cluttered, have a few honest friends be guinea pigs for you. Sit them down in front of your homepage and ask them about their experience.
If your website design is too cluttered, you might be increasing your bounce rate, hurting your page rank, and, most importantly, losing potential contacts and clients. To learn more about whether you might need an attorney website redesign, contact Foster Web Marketing today at 888.886.0939.
Why does the content on my lawyer website matter so much? Isn’t my website just a big online advertisement?
Great lawyer web marketing is about more than just providing an online billboard. Your potential clients expect relevant and engaging web content when they come to you online, and most people will immediately move on if your lawyer website provides nothing of substance – just a useless plug for your law firm.
Think about it this way. You would never sit down with a worried client in your office and spend the whole time showing off your degrees and awards or aggressively convincing them how great you are. Instead, you’d listen to their concerns, respond thoughtfully, and provide sympathy and guidance – like the professional you are. You should think about your lawyer website content the same way, especially as the nature of online communication becomes more and more social over time.
These days, most people turn to their laptops, desktops, or smartphones when they have questions or concerns. Someone with a legal problem is now more likely to turn to Google before they open a phonebook or contact anyone in person. Your lawyer website is your chance to make a great first impression, build trust, create a personal connection, provide crucial information, and encourage your potential clients to take the next step and contact you. And you just can’t do that with a static website that only functions as an advertisement.
If you’d like to learn more about effective attorney web marketing and creating great lawyer website content, reach out to the experienced online content team at Foster Web Marketing. You can reach us at 1-888-886-0939 for more answers, or you can simply fill out the quick contact form on this page for more information.
I’ve been told my lawyer website content is “thin.” How can I improve it?
If your current site is thin on content, you’ve probably noticed a huge decrease in your traffic over the last year or so. Google algorithm updates have put an increased emphasis on rich content, and many sites with thin or spammy content have watched their traffic plummet as a result. However, it is possible to improve your rankings and salvage a website that has been filled with thin content over time. Here are some ideas to help you get started:
- Start providing great content. Probably the most important thing you can do is to just start creating better online content. Update your lawyer website with rich and engaging content now, and post new content at least once a month – or, ideally, a few times a week.
- Improve old content. Go back through your website content and start fleshing out short articles, correcting errors, deleting duplicate content, and weeding out outdated or “black hat” optimization tactics.
- Delete the worst offenders. If you have a few landing pages that are particularly bad, it may be worth just deleting them entirely. Don’t forget to clean up any broken links this might cause or redirect traffic to a more relevant landing page.
To learn more about creating great attorney content for the web, request your FREE copy of our must-read book The Secret to Content That Gets You Cases, Plain and Simple.
And, if you need help improving your current lawyer website content, speak with our experienced online attorney marketing team today. You can reach us at 1-888-886-0939 to discuss your website content concerns, or you can simply fill out the quick contact form on this page to learn more.
How long should my attorney book or free legal guide be?
Generally, your free lawyer book or legal guide should simply be as long as it needs to be to clearly convey the information that your reader is looking for. Don’t try to draw out a subject unnaturally, and don’t cut out vital information just to make a book shorter. However, you should note that you may wish to call any document shorter than 20 or 30 pages something other than a “book” so that your audience isn’t disappointed by its length. For shorter projects, choose a word like “guide.”
If you are writing a book-length guide—anything over 30 pages or so—make sure that you break up large blocks of text with chapters, subheads, bulleted points, graphics, and pull-out quotes. Even if your book is long, it should be easy on the eyes, easy to flip through, and easy to read out of order.
If you are writing a shorter book—anything under 20 pages or so—be sure to say so when advertising the download on your website so that readers know what they are getting. You may also want to include a general outline or table of contents on the landing page so that readers understand what information is included in the book.
At Foster Web Marketing, we can help you create a book or guide of any length that you can share with potential clients and offer on your lawyer website. Get started today by calling us at 888-886-0939.
How do I write a great conclusion for my attorney book or legal guide?
The conclusion to your legal guide or attorney ebook is especially important because it is the last thing that a person will read before deciding whether or not to call your office and consider your legal services. How do you get your reader to contact you after finishing your book?
The single most important aspect of writing a great conclusion is including a call to action – an invitation for the reader to continue their relationship with you by calling, emailing, or stopping by your office.
At the end of your book, begin by summarizing your points and reviewing the big picture – they have a legal problem, and you are knowledgeable an experienced enough to help them fix the problem. The conclusion is also a good time to let your readers know that every situation is different and that the best course of action is to discuss their legal needs in detail and in person with an attorney. Then offer your contact information in a variety of ways:
- Phone number (toll free, local, or both)
- Email address
- Website address
- Physical address (and directions)
- Facebook page
- Twitter handle
Remember that different readers will have different preferences about how to get into contact with you.
Do you need assistance with writing or editing a book for your attorney website? Call Foster Web Marketing today for help from our legal writers: 888-886-0939.
Won’t search engine optimization just make my attorney website look “spammy?”
Not if you’re doing it right! There’s a common misconception that all search engine optimization services use “black hat” SEO techniques – like keyword lists, keyword stuffing, or paid links – to trick search engines into ranking their sites highly. This is simply not true.
At Foster Web Marketing, we believe that your SEO should never get in the way of a great user experience and that you shouldn’t have to trick search engines – or your readers – into visiting your site. Instead, you should focus on providing an online marketing experience that helps you engage with readers, answer their questions, and encourage them to reach out to you for help. We want search engines and visitors to like your site because it’s actually good and easy to find!
Great Attorney SEO Is All About Enhancing the User Experience
A few years ago, it was possible to manipulate search engine algorithms by stuffing your site with irrelevant keywords or paid links. These days, search engines frown on those activities and, instead, reward sites that provide solid content and please visitors.
When you contact our online attorney marketing team, we’ll start by helping you build a website that looks professional and reflects the personality of your law firm. Once it’s live, we’ll help you maintain an engaging and professional online marketing plan, upload original and relevant online content, get started with social media and video, and adjust to the latest trends and changes in the online marketing world.
If you’d like to learn more about doing SEO right, contact our online attorney marketing team today at 1-888-886-0939!
How can I avoid using outdated SEO tactics in my online attorney marketing?
The rules of online attorney marketing change quickly. If you don’t know much about modern SEO, or if your attorney website is a few years old, you could be engaging in once-helpful tactics that are now actually harmful to your image and rankings. Here are a few guidelines for avoiding outdated or manipulative SEO techniques:
- Stop trying to manipulate search engines. Keyword stuffing, buying links, and blog spamming are a thing of the past. Instead of attempting to manipulate search engine algorithms, search engines now reward you for creating engaging and unique content that naturally attracts visitors.
- Pay attention to major search engine changes. Search engines are always improving, and that means that some perfectly legitimate SEO trends can change literally overnight. Keep up on the news, and be prepared to adjust your marketing strategy as needed.
- Focus on your potential clients. Web users are increasingly savvy, and they won’t stick around for sites using obvious manipulation tactics and junk content. Always try to provide a great user experience and engaging content, which keeps your potential clients (and search engines) happy and never goes out of style.
- Hire an online marketing team to help. Keeping up with your online attorney marketing can be a time-consuming chore, and it’s easy to fall behind the times when you’re busy with clients. Hiring an experienced attorney SEO team means that you can quickly adjust to search engine changes and important new trends while focusing on what you do best – practicing the law and working with clients.
Ready to learn more? Reach out to Foster Web Marketing at 1-888-886-0939, or just fill out the quick contact form on this page for more information!
Why do people leave my site?
While we have many clients who are very satisfied with our attorney website marketing services, we also have had some clients who have been promised things by other individuals or companies looking to gain their business. Two examples of promises that other companies have made that have caused some people to leave Foster Web Marketing include:
- Lower rates – While other companies may be able to offer cheaper rates and lower fees, they may fail to produce the results we can. The saying ‘you get what you pay for’ is applicable here because lower costs may not get you the higher quality product that often requires higher costs. When companies or individuals are charging lower rates, it is most likely because their product isn’t as top notch. Smaller, cheaper companies do not have the number of senior coders, developers, and SEO experts working on your site behind the scenes like we do.
- Page one placement on Google – It takes a lot of work to maintain a website correctly and optimize content precisely to get you on page one of Google. Many of our clients are on page one of Google, and it’s mainly due to the money we have invested in DSS and the behind-the-scenes work to make sure your website is optimized correctly. If you are leaving Foster Web Marketing to save money, you most likely will not get these benefits from a lower-priced company.
Generally, clients who have left Foster Web Marketing have not had great success showing up in search results. To talk with an attorney website marketing expert at Foster Web Marketing for help with your website, call us at 888-886-0939 today.
How do I include a “call to action” in my attorney marketing videos?
You already understand the importance of adding a call to action to your written web content to encourage your readers to reach out to you, but how do you add a great call to action to your web video? This is a great question because, sadly, many businesses forget to add a call to action to their web videos and sometimes leave potential customers hanging, unsure where to go next for help.
Don’t make the same mistake by leaving your potential clients hanging after they’ve watched your relevant and engaging video. Here are a few easy ways you can incorporate a great call to action into your attorney web videos:
- Ask your viewer to call. It seems obvious, but you might be surprised how often it’s overlooked. Consider verbally encouraging your viewer to call or visit your website for more information or a consultation.
- Feature your website and phone number on the screen. Take advantage of the visual medium by placing your phone number and URL on the screen for your viewer to see.
- Add video annotation with a link to your site. Some video sharing sites, like YouTube, allow you to annotate videos with an overlay. Consider adding a link to a relevant landing page on your website or to your online contact form.
If you would like to talk about more ideas for adding an effective call to action to your attorney marketing videos, speak with our online attorney marketing team today. You can reach us at 1-888-886-0939 or by filling out the easy online contact form on this page to learn more.
Search Our Site
Get Help Now
Complimentary Site Analysis
Get your 8 page report that spells out exactly what is working, what is wrong, and, more importantly, what needs to be done to fix it.
Want To Learn More?
Request a Free Book, Watch a Webinar, Read Our Blog, or Listen to a Podcast
Are you struggling to market your business online? Do you need some help refining your marketing to get you the rankings, clients and revenue you need to be successful?
Take a step toward your goals with Foster Web Marketing's FREE marketing resources. Our books are based on real-world experiences and they will teach you techniques that have proven to work when executed correctly.